Adapting to a new career on the road can be a challenge. You'll have to learn a lot not only about your new job but also about your new way of life on the road. We've compiled a list of essential accessories that experienced truck drivers never leave home without! Each item will make your trips more enjoyable overall. Our recommended essential accessories fall into 3 categories: safety, health, and comfort. Take a look and see if your truck has everything you need!
Your health is in your hand
- USB heating pad:
A heating pad can be a great help for your muscles. Sitting for long periods of time can make your muscles stiff. A heating pad can help relax your muscles before you go to bed, or before you drive home, to make the most of the time you spend not driving.
- First Aid Kit:
You can never be without a bandage when you need one so badly. Bandages and ointments are great supplies to help prevent discomfort and infections. Make sure you have everything you need to treat minor cuts and sprains while traveling.
It's wise to take aspirin or Tylenol with you on your trip. You don't want to be stuck on the road with a headache and a lack of any refills.
- Leather Gloves: You never know when you'll need to check a tire or trailer. Be prepared with a set of industrial leather gloves that will protect your hands and keep you ready.
- Flashlight: A bright flashlight will help you find items in the cab faster. This accessory will also help you stay safe during unexpected stops at night, whether on the road or at a truck stop.
- Reflective Vest: You can never be too safe! A reflective vest can save your life while refueling, unloading, or loading. Wear the vest during unexpected stops on busy roads, so passing cars can see you.
- Paper Towels/Napkins: Paper towels are simple items that are always needed. You can use them to wipe up spilled liquids. It is inevitable that liquids will be spilled in the booth and possibly on you! Keep paper towels handy and be prepared.
- Air freshener: If you're on the road, the cab may smell like your recent food. An air freshener spray will clear the air to keep the cabin fresh.
- Modern Pillow: You'll be thankful you invested in a high-end pillow when you sleep on the road. Pillow technology has come a long way. There are now cooling pillows, memory foam pillows, and even heated pillows. You can find the one that works best for you and helps you get a better night's sleep.
- Seating cushion or back support: Sitting for most of the day can take a toll on your spine. Invest in an extra seat cushion or back support pillow to improve your posture while sitting. This simple thing can save you many future visits to the doctor.
Proper preparation makes the difference between beginners and champions in this business: the fewer steps you have to make, the better. Before you hit the road, be sure to think about what else can keep you comfortable, safe, and healthy on the road.
And to learn even more of the cool stuff that truck drivers use, you only need one thing. That's to enroll in our NSTS school as soon as possible. Our experience knows no bounds, and the number of tricks you can't count!